|This article is about a/an Space Sheriff in Uchuu Keiji Shaider.|
- "Uchuu Keiji Shaider!"
- ―Shaider's roll call[src]
Dai Sawamura (沢村 大 Sawamura Dai?) is the main character of Uchuu Keiji Shaider. An Earthling, he was scouted by the Galaxy Federal Police as a Space Sheriff candidate, became a trainee, and then became Space Sheriff Shaider (宇宙刑事シャイダー Uchū Keiji Shaidā?). Shaider (シャイダー Shaidā?) is a code name derived from the legendary hero Warrior Shaider.
- 1 Character Biography
- 2 Stage Show Appearances
- 3 Video Game appearances
- 4 Shaider
- 5 Ranger Key
- 6 Behind the scenes
- 7 Notes
- 8 Appearances
- 9 See Also
Two years before the series started, Dai Sawamura is a former archaeologist. He continued his astronomer father's research into studying the Nazca Lines and manages to track the meaning behind it from Peru to Easter Island. There, Dai uncovers an altar that knocks himself unconscious. Finding himself on Planet Bird, he was scouted by the Galaxy Federal Police to become a Space Sheriff candidate.
When he was assigned to Earth, he was given the code name "Shaider", which was derived from an ancient legendary warrior who fought against Kubilai. He was appointed in the middle of his training and was forced to struggle, but with his indomitable fighting spirit, he overcame many trials and grew up as a warrior. At the beginning of his assignment to Earth, he had no job other than Space Sheriff, and his home was destroyed, but from Episode 17, he was forced to stay at the pet shop Monkey run by Kojiro and started working there. His parents died when he was young, and his grandmother, who raised him, had died, and he was lonely for the rest of his life (he told Annie in Episode 3). Later, several triggers revealed that he was truly a descendant of the Warrior Shaider.
Eventually learning of the Warrior Shaider and his presumed relation, Dai realizes his fate is to finish his ancestor's duty by putting an end to the Fuuma. When Fuuma managed to take over most of the universe, Dai learns the altar is actually an entrance to where headless body of Kubilai was sealed along with Kubilai's weak point. Though sealed in by Priest Poe with a limited amount of oxygen, Shaider manages to escape and fight his way through the Fushigi Castle to save Annie before fighting Kubilai and won against the fiend.
With his mission on Earth over, Dai was in charge of the solar system area, and decides to take Annie around the world.
Uchuu Keiji Gavan: The Movie
Uchuu Keiji Shaider NEXT GENERATION
Stage Show Appearances
In a stage show where the Bioman are seen fighting Neo Empire Gear and Bio Hunter Silva, Kamen Rider Stronger, Shaider, Kamen Machineman, DynaRed & Blue, GoggleBlack, DenziGreen and VulPanther arrive and assist the team.
In a stage show where the Changemen are seen fighting usual foes, Megabeast Empire and Bio Hunter Silva show up and wind up defeating them. Juspion, Byclosser, Shaider, Kamen Rider Super-1, Red1, Green2, DynaRed, GoggleBlack and VulShark arrive and assist the Changemen.
In a stage show where the Flashmen are seen fighting Reconstructive Experiment Empire Mess, Spielban, Kamen Rider Super-1, Juspion, Shaider, ChangeDragon, & Mermaid, Red1, Green2, and DynaRed arrive and assist the team.
In a stage show where the Maskmen are seen fighting the Underground Empire Tube, Kamen Rider Black, Metalder, Speilban, Shaider, Red & Blue Flash, ChangeDragon & Phoenix, Green2 and DynaBlack arrive and assist the team.
Video Game appearances
Super Tokusatsu Taisen 2001
Dai Sawamura/Shaider, with Gavan, Shaider and Annie, is a playable character in the Sony PlayStation crossover strategy game Super Tokusatsu Taisen 2001.
When he transforms with the command Shouketsu (焼結 Shōketsu?, "Sinter"), the Vavilos envelops him with Blue Plasma Energy particles that form his armor within milliseconds. In the Philippine dub, he calls his codename Shaider when he transforms. As Shaider, he uses the Laser Blade sword in his signature move Shaider Blue Flash or the Video Beam Gun in conjunction with Shaider Scope scanner to track down invisible foes. His own blues include, Shaider Punch, Shaider Kick, and Blue Flash Spark.
- height: 210 cm
- weight: 95 kg
- Maximum Jump Height: 150 m (300m with booster assistance)
- Laser Blade - Shaider's sword, hidden in the waistband of his armor when not in use. It can also be used as a energy lasso. In the Philippine dub, it was called the Shaider Cutter.
- Shaider Blue Flash - As Shaider, he uses the Laser Blade sword in his signature move, the Shaider Blue Flash to finish off an opponent. In the Philippine dub, it was called the Shaider Super Slash.
- Space Sheriff Delta Dynamic
- Video Beam Gun
- Shaider Scope - Amplifying system Shaider vision, allowing him to see through obstacles or disguise a person and locate an invisible opponent.
- Sound Sensor - Auditory sensor also to communicate with the Super Dimensional Mothership Vavilos.
- Shaider Phone
- Super Phone Shaider
- Shaider Punch - Shaider performs a backflip before hitting his opponents with his fists.
- Shaider Kick - Shaider performs a running jumpkick.
- Shaider Full Power - The following increases Shaider's power levels for a brief moment.
- Blue Flash Spark - Plasma discharge energy emitted by his armor to help him break out of confinement.
The Shaider Key (シャイダー Shaidā Kī?) is a Metal Heroes Ranger Key released as part of the Ranger Keys Metal Hero Edition in Bandai Premium. It is unknown if it will appear in a future crossover. Of course as with all Ranger Keys, should it exist, it would be able to transform one, i.e. one of the Gokaigers, into Shaider.
Behind the scenes
Dai Sawamura was portrayed by Hiroshi Tsuburaya (円谷 浩 Tsuburaya Hiroshi?), the grandson of Ultra Series creator Eiji Tsuburaya. Sadly, Tsuburaya died of liver cancer on July 24th, 2001 due to alcoholism developed through the years. He was 37 years old. When the Space Sheriffs returned in the 2006 video game, The Space Sheriff Spirits, Dai was voiced by Takuo Kawamura (川村拓央 Kawamura Takuo?).
In the initial project of Shaider, Space Sheriff Sharon (宇宙刑事シャーロン Uchū Keiji Shāron?) was set to fight to save his sister who had fallen ill by Raider, a villain from Uchuu Keiji Sharivan. In the following Space Sheriff Jencer (宇宙刑事ジェンサー Uchū Keiji Jensā?), it was set to be a cram school teacher.
Space Sheriff shaider is featured as #88 in the 1986 archive compilation video Toei 100 Great Heroes Super Fight.
- According to the nameplate of his home that appeared in the first episode, the surname is originally written as "澤村".
- In the IBC-13 and GMA dub in the Philippines, he is renamed as Alexis.
- Sho Mikagami from the game, Evil Zone shares some similarities to Dai Sawamura as both men transforms into Shaider and Danzaiver respectively.
- Both of their suits are completely different when they transform when Shaider's signature color is blue while Danzaiver is red.
- Both men also shares their signature moves during battle against their enemies especially using their signature attacks to destroy enemies. In Danzaiver's case, he puts a battery to unleash a laser-like blade to make a heavy slash on his opponent.
- In the Philippine Dub, he was voiced by two male voice actors in both broadcasting companies. In the ABS-CBN dub until it was replayed in both IBC-13 and GMA Network, Dai Sawamura is voiced by Tony Nierras and in GMA dub, he was voiced by Vincent Gutierrez.
- In Zaido: Pulis Pangkalawakan, the late Marky Cielo who portrays as Alexis Lorenzo bears a strong resemblance to Dai Sawamura and as Shaider in both his casual and his metal hero form as his color motif is green.
- Coincidentally, both actors who portrayed their main characters are also died in different causes; Hiroshi Tsuburaya dies from liver cancer on July 24, 2001 while Marky Cielo dies from committing suicide on December 7, 2008 after his role in Zaido: Pulis Pangkalawakan and was not made in public to the media in showbiz, claiming that he died from his sleep.